Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Invisible Grandfather


Hello friends, thanks for coming over to the Charmer Blog. I don't write many poems but last week one came to me after visiting my grandfather (Milford Mork Sr.) for the first time in many years. The format is extended Haiku, as I call it. Each verse is 5-7-5 syllables. I think. It's a draft. Here goes:

The Invisible Grandfather

99 years old,
he rolls to the locked front door.
Knuckles knock for out.

Others sit content.
He wheels forward, forward.
Hands, feet clumsy sync.

Food placed on his lap
where he might see. Head bowed down
perpetually.

As if he’s sorry.
Sorry he can’t lift his face.
Sorry, no muscles.

Who is this old man?
The teenage caretaker knows
more than I, his blood.

For I don’t see him.
He doesn’t hear me. We are
both nonexistent.   

2 comments: