Saturday, February 4, 2012

Busted

I've been busted. The other day my son, who I shall no longer name lest he shows up on a Google search by his middle school friends, requested access to my blog codes so he could go in and take offline all the pictures of him I've posted over the years. The good, the bad, and the super adorable. Of course I obliged this request, although I think there's still work to do.

Apparently he and his friend were Google searching each other, and apparently my son's name turned up as highly searchable, thanks to me and my darn habit of blogging. Welcome to the big bad world of lack of privacy in which I am a perpetrator.

My son said his friend said that my blog title is stupid. What? Now I'm being evaluated by another 7th grade boy? Yet, I don't want to embarrass my son.

"Oh, so do I need to change my blog name? Delete the whole thing?" I asked.

"No, that's OK," he said.

Nice kid.

Its another example of that harsh reality that your kids have their own separate lives and that they belong to you less and less as they get older and wiser. The days of me posting about my son and daughter as if they are my property, my dolls, my babies, my own -- are over. Or at least modified.

Yet, sadly, as we all know, once something is posted on the internet, always posted. Google search doesn't give their codes out, as far as I  know, so you can't go in and delete their material about you and your family. And so I give thanks again that there was no information superhighway when I was younger and dumber. And I caution my kids constantly about what they post. And I caution myself over and over and over again.

It's probably good that I just stick to the liver writing and maybe take up scrap booking.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend.

T

5 comments:

  1. Will miss the sweet cheeks, but this reader is voting you hold on to the best blog title in the country!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so did you Google your son's name? I did, and apparently there is an author by the same name. However, I did not have your son's middle name. I did not find any that linked to your blog. But then again, I did not keep going through the search results, because there were just too many pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Suzanne, You are sooo kind. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous poster, Thanks for the comment. We are seeing the prolific mentions of my son in google images. A search on his name pretty much looks like a "this is your life." ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typical AWESOME mother reaction, deleting his photos and now restricting using his name. To be honest, I think of him as Little Rumsfeld, hope he never changes! XOXO

    ReplyDelete