Thursday, October 25, 2007

Finding Furniture and Other Things

Hello and welcome to the charmer blog. I wanted to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers for ordination, which was glorious. Brooklyn fits like a glove. When you're there, you wonder if you ever really left. I've also been meaning to tell y'all that I really have wanted to write personal responses to you when you comment here, but I can't figure out how to do it on this blog site. So anyway, please know that your words and attention are so much appreciated, and I'll keep trying.

Tonight, I wanted to give you views inside and outside my new office, that is our new church, that is Bob's new call. While in the parking lot, I found this shadow of the steeple on the next building. Made the kids wait in the car while I took a ton of pictures because I thought it was pretty.

That's my office window way up on the top floor, above the trees, in the downtown-Des Moines-scape picture. You can kind of see the air conditioner in the window. This is how you open up a deployed office when you work for a non-profit agency.

1. You find space that is cheap or free.
2. You figure out how much office furniture you can mooch from the determined place.
3. You estimate how much you can spend for the rest.
4. You buy the nicest, yet cheapest stuff you can find.
5. You worry that you're spending too many hours assembling said nice/cheap stuff.
6. You profusely thank the people who have helped you secure the space.
7. You attempt to explain to said people in 10 seconds exactly what you do.
8. You look for the balance of fitting in and keeping to yourself.
9. You write this up in a contract and send it to your vice president for finance and administration.

This is what the inside of my office looks like. The pieces are parts of a filing cabinet. A simple filing cabinet. It's driving me absolutely crazy!!!! I am not hard wired to assemble this filing cabinet. I couldn't find a screw driver in the whole 4 floors of the building so it had to wait until tomorrow. I'm giving all my secrets away to my colleagues in Baltimore who are wondering exactly what I do with my days.

Anyway, speaking of furniture, oh my gosh, you must see the kitchen table that came our way compliments of a very special family from the congregation. They didn't know our house. We didn't know their table. We needed a table. They needed to get rid of one. And it fits just splendidly. Perfectly. Spectacularly. See for yourself.

Why am I blogging about furniture when I need to make waffles in 8 hours, all dressed and ready to go?

Thanks so much for coming over.

With love, T

2 comments:

  1. Sorry if this posted somewhere else, but I keep forgetting which username I use here.

    Terri, you looked beautiful at Robbie's ordination. Robbie looked very Pastor like.... and very happy. I wished I had more energy to stay and talk more, but I was glad to be able to stay as long as I did.

    I look forward to reading more of your life adventures in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, TSCW!
    It's my first visit to your new blog. "My" World Hunger Winter Resource packet is wrapped up and mailed so now I can turn my attention to other important things.
    Wow! The ordination food! Amazing! And I *love* your steeple shadow pics. It's too bad you're not in a photography class...those would have earned an "A" for sure.
    Your article in the November LWT is a beautiful thing. If you aren't already, become a member of RCC (Religion Communicators Council)so you can take home an Award of Excellence for writing.
    I'll be stopping by often. Love and kisses to you and the fam.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete