Saturday, October 27, 2007

When in Brooklyn

If you could jump into this picture, walk out onto the street, and look in the same direction -- you would see New York Harbor and practically the Statue of Liberty. This is in front of the Speirs-Mansour house where Bob et. al. grew up. And where now a cute pair of twin nieces grow.

As I said before, Brooklyn is like never leaving because you can so easily fall into your old patterns. I couldn't believe how many people I knew just walking along the street. "Hi! How are you!" Kiss, kiss, along the side of cheeks.

One nice change though is that Amanda came along with me on a really long walk. 88 blocks. In the past she would ride cozily in her stroller and sleep most of the way. By the end of the outting she was longing for those days. I thought about the blessing of a little baby who grew up willing to walk with her mother for hours, arm in arm, hand in hand.

I did not cry at the ordination even though it was the most perfect event you could imagine. I took many pictures but then realized that not everyone in the world wants their face posted on my blog, and I did not think to have people sign release forms, so anyway, I'm playing it safe and will not post the people tour. Trust me, it was a glorious collection of friends and family.

I *did* cry when we went out to Gino's the next day. A former Italian pizzeria turned into Italian restaurant. The Speirs have been eating there for two decades. It was another thing that does not change. I wait in line while Bob finds a parking spot. We see the same people, order the same food. Bow ties in vodka sauce. Chicken parmesan. But it's all better because the kids are older and this time we have dear friends from Minnesota with us, Harry and Martha Mueller. We looked for the unhappy couple (a reference from the care page, later I'll bring it back). It was like I blinked my eye, 15 years had passed, and now Bob is ordained, etc, etc. So I cried over my pasta.

Anyway, I wanted to show you four of the reasons why we love Iowa. The call committee chair, the church council president, toi, moi, the senior pastor, and a youth group representative. Friends, can you believe that this delegation from St. John's in Des Moines joined us for the ordination!! Along with the Bishop. It was so fun to have them with us and to tour them around Sunset Park. It was just too short. And now you get an idea of what future parties at the Speirs house in Des Moines might look like.

My ordination formal came to me the previous day, direct delivery from Egypt with thanks to my in-laws, Carol and Ragaey. I am more and more amazed at the perfectness of things that come our way. Which relieves me when I have serious second doubts about stuff like, did we buy the right house? Did we enroll our kids in the right schools? All the huge decisions you make with such little time and information. You just have to believe that you were led to places for a reason, right?

It's a Saturday morning and time to make cinnamon streusel muffins for the kids. Bob is at a confirmation breakfast because tomorrow is Reformation Sunday and confirmation. I will find a good picture of Joseph Feinnes, the handsome Irish actor who played Martin Luther in the feature film. While Martin Luther did a great thing by liberating us from indulgences and all, let's face it he's not much to look at. Thank goodness for Hollywood and a new image. Coming soon.

With love, T

1 comment:

  1. Terri and Pastor Rob, I am so sorry that I missed all the fun and more than likely I will be missing the installation also. I haven't heard when it will be but every weekend in November is booked for me. Bob & Terri you look so happy! We will have to make it down to Iowa in the near future!

    MCLC Sec.

    ReplyDelete